Last week we just watched the end of the new K-drama Legend of The Blue Sea. Throughout the series I noticed that the main lead Shim Cheong (Jun Ji-hyun) always has perfect glossy hair. Whether she's swimming around in the ocean or jumping around on land between old (dumped) clothes. It is noteworthy that in Korea, not only is it considered important to have a pretty smooth skin, but the girls also often have silky soft hairs that shines and reflects the light.
Are you just as curious about how to actieve this as us?
Together with Studio Kawaii Rotterdam we bring to you these tips about how to take care of your hair to get that healthy and shiny look.
Photo credit: Studio Kawaii
You probably understand that your skin needs to be taken care of, you need to protect it from various factors such as weather conditions, stress, hormones, etc. It needs nutrition to recover and to shine. All of this also applies to our hair!! In summer, your hair requires for protection against the sun rays to prevent it from drying out. And in winter it would like to be protected from the cold and dry air so that it does not lose its texture and resilience.
We start with the most commonly used hair product: shampoo. It's extremely important to choose the right shampoo for the right hair type. To prevent your hair from drying out, choose a moisturizing shampoo. Avoid shampoo with alcohol if you have very dry hair.
The way you apply shampoo is also important. Until now, you probably let the shampoo foam on your head... Well, we must stop doing this as soon as possible! The best way to shampoo according to Celia Wong of Studio Kawaii is to:
- Comb the hairs before you make them wet to untangle your hair.
- Wet your hair well with luke warm water.
- Lather the shampoo to foam on your handpalm. Don't overuse shampoo than needed.
- Massage the shampoo lightly on your scalp with your vingertips.
- Let the shampoo slip towards the ends of your hair.
- Rinse the shampoo well with luke warm water and finish with cold water to close the pores on your scalp so that dirt and oil does not get a chance.
Like our skin, our hair needs nutrition to shine. For the best result, a masks will can be used. Once a week, a hydrating conditioner with treating oils such as (often seen) Argan oil, Almond oil, or protein can enhance the hair and bring out the natural shine.
Like a hair mask, the conditioner will shine your hair, but unlike a mask, the conditioner will not nourish the hair.
- Squeeze as much water from the hair as possible after rinsing the shampoo.
- Apply the mask / conditioner to the hair.
- Avoid the hair roots when applying a mask / conditioner. The roots from the roots are healthy and therefore does not require additional nourishment. As unnecessary application of products may lead to oily scalp.
- Put your hair up or wear a shower cap (personal tip) and let the mask absorb as long as possible.
- Rinse the mask / conditioner just before leaving the shower.
Drying and combing
Sometimes your hair is just not willing to cooperate and it end up in a huge tangled mess, so you get irritated and start to get rough with a towel or comb. By being so roughness on your hair, you will damage the hair and create more tangles and hair loss. So be gentle and careful.
- Dry your hair with a towel, use the towel to absorb the water.
- Use a soft brush and brush the hair from top to bottom, all the way up to the ends.
- Apply serum / essence to midway and on the ends.
- If necessary, proceed with a hair dryer.
This is a step we can learn a lot from South Korea. Like with the essence step in their skin care, they can not go on without essence for their hair. Essence is a treating step, it takes care of and protects the hair. It nourishes the hair, brings hydration and healthy shine back to the hair.
For silky soft hairs like in S-Korea, look for ingredients like: Sandalwood, Rosewood, Olive, Tea tree, Lemon, Lavender, Rosemary, Camellia, Argan in the form of oil.
When apply essence/serum, avoid the hair roots because the hairs are still healthy there, by using all kinds of unnecessary products, you will just clog the roots (pores) and make the hair greasy.
More hairs tips & tricks?
STUDIO KAWAII is a well-known professional hair studio in the Netherlands [Zijdewindestraat 165, Rotterdam] with extensive experience in trendy Asian hairstyles. Studio Kawaii specializes in beautiful shiny hair dyes. In the comfortable and cosy studio near China Town, the experienced team will give your personal advice to exceed your own expectations.
Owner Celia Wong is quite famous in her field and does not know what to do if she had not entered the world of hair. She listens well to her customer and has a good feeling style and color. Of course, she also knows everything about hair care, preserving the beautiful colors, shine and don't be shy to ask her for styling tips. :)
Throughout the month of March you can enter an appointment for a haircut every Monday (10 am - 5 pm). If you are still a student, you will receive a 10% discount. And do you come along with your bff, lover, or mom / dad
For more inspirations please take a look on Studio Kawaii's Instagram.
For hairstyling tips & tricks we recommend you to follow SOONSIKI HAIR on Facebook. Dit is a well known hair studio in South-Korea and they post regularly tutorials online.
Photo credit: Studio Kawaii
©All pictures are owned by Studio Kawaii.